Among recent updates to the MillsOnline database of pulp and
paper mills are the following:
- In July 2005, Blue Heron Paper acquired the Pomona, CA mill
formerly owned by Smurfit Newsprint Corporation of California.
- The mill in Plainwell, MI is closed, not just idle. The city of
Plainwell acquired the property in August 2006.
- The mill in Newton Falls, NY has been closed since 2000.
- In June 2006, Thilmany LLC acquired the Industrial Papers
Division of International Paper. Kohlberg & Company (Mt. Kisco,
NY) is the exclusive stakeholder of Thilmany, LLC. Ownership
of the mills in Kaukauna, WI and De Pere, WI has been transferred
- The mill in Old Town, ME, formerly owned by Georgia-Pacific,
has been purchased by Red Shield Environmental, LLC.
- Laidlaw Energy has purchased the mill in Berlin, NH from Fraser
Papers, Inc., with the intent to convert it to a biomass-energy
- New Page Corporation has sold its Chillicothe, OH mill to
Glatfelter of York, PA.
- ST Paper LLC, based in Ashwaubenon, WI, has purchased the
Oconto Falls Tissue, Inc. tissue mill in Oconto WI.
- Neenah Paper has announced the closure of the 15,000 t/y fine
paper mill in Housatonic, MA, effective May 2007.
- The former Newstech/Belkorp Industries mill in Newton Falls, NY
has been purchased by Scotia Investments, Ltd.
- Domtar has merged with Weyerhaeuser's fine paper business,
which will now do business as Domtar. The affected mills are
in Columbus, MS (coated paper mill
About CPBIS: The Center for Paper Business and
Industry Studies (CPBIS) is an internationally recognized academic
research center providing business knowledge of relevance to the
global forest products industry. The CPBIS is cosponsored by the
Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the Georgia Institute of Technology
(Georgia Tech), and the Paper Industry.